23. SUDS and greenspace in Stevenage
Themes: Water Quality, Habitats and Wildlife; People
- That water quality, temperature and river bed quality are such that they support chalk stream ecology
- To increase the attractiveness, visibility and public access
- to enable people to appreciate the river (commensurate with managing and protecting sensitive habitats and species)
- To increase the public's appreciation of the unique chalk stream environment and their participation in its conservation
This project aims to establish a sustainable urban drainage system (SUDS) and an area of urban greenspace in the heart of Stevenage.
This idea is to establish a sustainable urban drainage system (SUDS) using the current pond area on the site, and turn it into an area of urban greenspace in the heart of Stevenage, with links to nearby woodland and Fairlands Valley park. This would enhance the area for recreation and public use, by creating a public park. It would also enhance water quality in the nearby Stevenage Brook, by reducing polluted run-off from nearby urban areas.