6. Widford river restoration
Theme: Ecology and biodiversity
- Enhance the river’s morphology
- Improve the ecological health of the river bed and banks
This project will restore the section of river in the floodplain below Widford Parish Church.
This section of river suffers from several problems, including over shading of the river. This project will remove some of this shade, by:
- Removing some trees (mainly alder) completely;
- Lifting the crowns of others by removing their lower branches.
This will let light to the river and encourage the growth of in-channel and bankside plants.
Some of the trees which are removed will be felled into the river and pinned securely in place, to create areas of scour and provide habitat for fish and invertebrates.