1. Riverfly Monitoring Initiative
Themes: Data and understanding; Water quality
- Gather data on the current state of the river and its natural processes
- Increase understanding of the issues facing the river
- Identify sources of pollution
- Reduce the frequency and severity of pollution events
This project will establish a new Riverfly Monitoring Group along the Rivers Rib and Quin.
Riverfly monitoring is a national scheme whereby local volunteers are trained in how to sample for an identify a range of freshwater invertebrates. Every month, pairs of volunteers will monitor the same site on their local river, building up a picture of the river's health and generating a score for the river each month. If this score drops below a certain 'trigger level', it indicates there has been a pollution event and the Environment Agency will come and investigate.