17. Reduce water consumption
Themes: Flow; People
- That there is water flowing along the whole length of the river at all times (excluding historic winterflowing sections)
- To increase the public's appreciation of the unique chalk stream environment and their participation in its conservation
This project aims to reduce the amount of water used locally, via education schemes and promotion of water efficiency. Helping people to make the connection between the water in their river and the water in their taps is key.
Average personal water use in Hertfordshire is one of the highest in the country. This is a factor which is contributing to the over-abstraction of the Beane and Mimram. This project aims to set up a collaborative, coordinated campaign to reduce the amount of water used in the local area.
The following methods will be used:
- Production of a short film
- School visits and education packs
- Programme of talks
- Liaising with local councils
- Stalls at events
- Magazine/newspaper articles
- Lobbying Ofwat and Affinity Water for 100% metering