12. Corporate volunteering and team building days
Themes: Community engagement and participation; Promoting appropriate and sympathetic land management
- Increase public access to and involvement in the river
- Control or eradicate invasive non-native species
You and your colleagues can spend time together out of the office on our original, action-packed team building days. Not only will you have a chance to spend time with your workmates and learn new skills, you'll also be able to make a positive impact on the River Lea and surrounding areas.
Groundwork has led teambuilding activities for a number of groups, including Certsure, Tesco, Galliford Try, Tesco, Vauxhall and more. Tasks have included removal of invasive species, practical improvement works, river monitoring or donning waders and clearing the river and its banks of rubbish, improving the waterways for local wildlife. We can also add in some mini challenges such as 'mini raft making' should you wish.
For an example of a team building day that Groundwork Luton & Bedfordshire ran, see project 13: Certsure.)
- Benefits for your team
- Good examples to illustrate your Corporate Social Responsibility policy
- Improved staff morale through taking part in a fun day helping the local community
- Improved team working skills by taking part in a different, challenging activities
- PR and promotional activities
- Pre-event planning with landowners, logistics and activity planning for the day
- A briefing paper, which can be shared with colleagues
- Health & Safety checks and risk assessments
- Liability insurance cover
- All safety and protective equipment for the group (PPE)
- Full supervision, training and support on the day by Groundwork staff
- A fun and active day with clear outcomes to enable the group to look back and recognise what they have achieved
As a charity, Groundwork does charge for this service in order to cover costs, which vary depending on the project involved, materials needed and the level of support required. However, as Groundwork is a registered charity (registration number 293141) your contribution towards the cost of the team-building day could be treated as a tax deductible qualifying charitable donation by your company, if the activity takes place during working hours.