27. Cowslip Meadow Community Engagement
Themes: Community engagement and participation; Promoting appropriate and sympathetic land management
- Improve local knowledge and understanding of the river and the issues facing it
- Increase public access to and involvement in the river
- Promote the river as a community and educational resource
- Improve existing wildlife corridors
- Control or eradicate invasive non-native species
- Increase the amount and quality of habitat
- Educate the general public and local businesses about its role in water quality and quantity improvements
The project at Cowslip Meadow is a community education campaign focussed on preventing pollution and clearly demonstrating the links to protecting wildlife at this site, just off the A6 in north Luton.
Cowslip Meadow will be showcased as an example of an important urban wetland habitat that already helps to improve water quality naturally, and which must continue to be protected.
The project began with a hedge laying volunteer task day, led by the Community Tree Trust, and will see the undertaking of a number of conservation management tasks around the site engaging local people from residents to local schools and businesses.
The project will also organise guided walks to help people understand the importance of the space and the installation of a new interpretation panel and litter/dog bins.